Multi-Source Feedback (MSF)
When you view the video, you might want to ask / remind yourself:
- Did the appraiser set the ground rules clearly and agree an agenda?
- How well did the appraiser establish rapport?
- What clues do we get from the body language and eye contact?
- Was there active listening? Who did most of the talking?
- What was the balance of open to closed questions?
- What was the balance between empathy and challenge?
- How well did the appraiser reflect issues back, avoiding direct advice?
- Was the use of factual information or suggestions too directive?
- Is the use of humour appropriate?
- What were the important cues from the appraisee? Did the appraiser overlook any?
- Does the interview demonstrate the different role of an appraiser compared with that of a doctor, a mentor and a trainer?
- When concluding each section, the appraiser checks that there is an agreed outcome: is it clear? do you feel the appraisee owns it?
- What would you have done differently?
We hope you find the video useful. Feedback is welcome.
This simulated interview is not intended to be the "perfect appraisal": it should be seen as an example of appraisal techniques, but also as a talking point for alternative ways to handle the interview.
We suggest that, if you have time, you should view all sections of the video.
This page was last updated on: 05/09/2016